Organic Onion Soup Recipe
All I had in my fridge was chicken bone broth and onions, and I wasn’t about to go to the store. So I found an organic onion soup recipe online and modified it to work with the ingredients I had on hand. It turned out super yummy, and I can’t wait to make it again!
- 1/2 cup ghee, tallow, lard, or schmaltz (vegan: non-dairy oil of choice)
- 4 onions, sliced (~3 lbs)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Sea salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 heaping tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 quarts beef, pork, or chicken bone broth/stock (vegetarian: vegetable stock)
- Melt the oil in a pot, and add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt (a liberal sprinkle), and pepper (~10 grinds), and cook 45 min-1hr until the liquid is evaporated and onions are starting to brown.
- Add the wine, and simmer for 30 min until the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir it in, cooking for 5-10 min.
- Then, add the broth, bring back to a simmer, and cook for 10 min. Salt and pepper to taste. (I used 1 tsp salt and 20 grinds of pepper.)